As the winter slowly creeps into Texas so does the time to celebrate one of the gifts from South Texas; the Ruby Red Grapefruit. When I was a child I remember my parents and grandparents having great big bags of them around the house through the holidays and while I was drawn to them by their beautiful glowing color, I recall not being such a fan of their taste. As an adult I have come to love the slight bitter bite and then the sweet tart juice from their red fleshy centers. Grapefruits are a wonderful addition supremed into a salad, juiced for vinaigrette or marinade, or my favorite way-broiled with brown sugar. Enjoy the season’s finest and give the old grapefruit new life in your culinary adventures.
- 2 Ruby Red grapefruits
- 1½ cup of light brown sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Turn oven broiler on to 500 degrees.
- Wash and slice grapefruit and place the halves into a pie pan to help keep them upright.
- Mix brown sugar and cinnamon in a bowl and then pack brown sugar mixture on top of each grapefruit.
- Place in oven on top rack, closest to the broiler, and check on and off to watching for sugar to caramelize which should take 4-6 minutes.
- Once grapefruit is bubbling and golden remove from oven and serve while still warm.